Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default comparing helical cutter heads

On 1/28/2021 7:01 PM, Bob D wrote:
On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 11:19:30 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:
On 1/26/2021 3:15 PM, Leon wrote:

A major bonus for me, not often mentioned is the chips from a
segmented planer/jointer are really nice and small, making dust
collection a breeze, with no clogs even from a weak system.

For me, one of the nicest things about a planer is the ability to
resaw/plane thick stuff to the size I want. Standard lumber is not
always what I want, and hardwood almost never what I want. For example,
for drawer's I never ever used 3/4" lumber other than on my first work
bench. Drawer's are always 1/2 or 5/8" for me, and popular is good, but
so is regular pine you get in all lumber yards.

It is not easy or cheap to find 1/2" or 5/8" lumber for drawer's. Same
with table tops. I don't want
1-1/2" tops on anything. 5/4 is common but is seldom available or cheap
around here. It's also how you get exact thickness on all your parts.
Commercial sizes always vary from piece to piece. I spent a lot of years
using ugly sizes or spending extra money before I got the planer.
--
Jack

I used a decent delta benchtop planer for years. It was slow and loud but worked. I ran across an opportunity to buy a used but well maintained powermatic 15" planer for $150. I put $300 worth of parts in it and it works like new. I never realized how great a hefty accurate planer could be. I love being able to quickly and reliably get exactly the thickness I need (as you pointed out). I think this planer may outlive me, so I am contemplating a helical head. For now, the knives are sharp and working fine.

Bob

I was not terribly unhappy with the 3 knives,on my planer, but a real
PIA to take out and replace when they dull, the primary reason for going
with helical. Secondary reason is the better cut, I hope. Still have
not had time to clean/adjust/try out the new machine.