Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 18:42:29 -0800 (PST), whit3rd
wrote:

On Thursday, January 28, 2021 at 12:26:34 PM UTC-8, wrote:

Solid core doors are getting harder to find and aren't $25 anymore. At
least around here they're more like $100. The other thing I worry
about is dogs into the door. Since it's essentially MDF in the
middle...

When solid core doors were available in the old days, they were lumbercore (i.e.
glued-up hardwood) with a veneer. That glued-up hardwood was heavy
and expensive, and durable. The glue, though, is poor (I have such a door, the veneer
skin has started to peel).

Wood doors nowadays are OK for doors, but MDF? ...not for benches. Liquid nails and 2x4s is
good enough for utility workspace, and much better than something that can't take
a hammer blow or stand still while I use a plastic bench-hook miter box to cut
a stick to length. How could you ever attach good legs to MDF?

I think Brian is right, it's OSB core.

You don't attach legs to the door, you attach the door to the legs.
The door forms a solid, *flat*, surface. It's really not structural.
Even laminated wood isn't a structural component of a bench, perhaps
other than stiffening. The key is that it has to be flat.

I don't use door benches for hammering (I have laminated benches such
as I gave links to yesterday), rather for cutting and assembly (two
separate benches). I would have used one for an outfeed table too,
but couldn't find any more doors.