Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default comparing helical cutter heads

On 1/28/2021 2:13 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 12:48:32 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/28/2021 11:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 1/26/2021 3:15 PM, Leon wrote:

A major bonus for me, not often mentioned is the chips from a
segmented planer/jointer are really nice and small, making dust
collection a breeze, with no clogs even from a weak system.

For me, one of the nicest things about a planer is the ability to
resaw/plane thick stuff to the size I want.Â* Standard lumber is not
always what I want, and hardwood almost never what I want.Â* For example,
for drawer's I never ever used 3/4" lumber other than on my first work
bench. Drawer's are always 1/2 or 5/8" for me, and popular is good, but
so is regular pine you get in all lumber yards.

It is not easy or cheap to find 1/2" or 5/8" lumber for drawer's.Â* Same
with table tops.Â* I don't want
1-1/2" tops on anything.Â* 5/4 is common but is seldom available or cheap
around here. It's also how you get exact thickness on all your parts.
Commercial sizes always vary from piece to piece. I spent a lot of years
using ugly sizes or spending extra money before I got the planer.

I do 1/2" Baltic birch for drawers 98% of the time.
As far as S4S is concerned, my local suppliers are very consistent with
thickness, much more so than S2S and S2sR1.

And yes, the planer is very useful for those odd sizes and or from rough
cut to S2S.

I do a lot of resawing of 4/4 I can get a nice thick veneer and 1/2"
material from that.

At Christmas I usually build boxes to give to friends and family.
These, below were from scraps. The 2 strained boxes with veneered tops
and bottoms were from S4S poplar 3/4" thick. A piece of 1x8 12" long
build a box.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

The drum sander was very useful.

My hope is that between a lunchbox planer (that I've had for years),
bandsaw, and drum sander, I don't really need a larger planer. I'd
like to have a jointer because a lot of wood I get has a lousy edge or
is cupped.

Yeah, I went with the combo to save space. The planer is handy to get
the work to the correct thickness. If you need wider than the planer
will handle, do the glue up of the correct thickness pieces and sand
with the drum sander.

I run into rough cut pieces often and like you I need to take care of
that lousy edge.

If I had more space I probably would have just gone with the jointer.

BUT my planer raises the cutter head up and down and the motor is on top
blocking easy access to get to the knives. So with helical I took care
of that issue.