Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default accidentally cut off 24 pin ATX power connector and want toreattach, question

On 2021/01/27 5:35 p.m., Allodoxaphobia wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 14:30:21 -0800, John Robertson wrote:
On 2021/01/26 10:35 p.m., Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 27/01/2021 01:37, John Robertson wrote:
On 2021/01/26 3:23 p.m., Jon I wrote:
I accidentally cut off the 24 pin ATX power supply connector because
I thought I was going to use the power supply for another purpose,
but that turned out not to be the case.Â* I want to reinstall back
into the desktop, but I have a question:Â* since all the red, yellow,
orange, and black wires were going to be combined (for greater
current handling in non-PC use), I am wondering if I could just
combine the same color cutoff wires from the connector with the ones
coming from the power supply?Â* Would sure save a lot of extra
soldering.Â* For example, in case I'm not clear, can I combine all the
orange wires from the supply and all the orange wires from the
connector and solder together?Â* Thanks in advance.

The OP should stagger the cuts for each set of common wires.
To attempt them side-by-side would put all the "blobs" side-by-side.

Excellent point!

I am reminded of the idiot in the UASF that was told to replace a 36
conductor plug in a F-102's radar equipment bay. He cut the cable straight
across about 2" from the old connector. Then, after soldering new
"stub" wires into the new plug, he proceeded to splice it all back onto
the cut cable. He somehow succeded, but the plane's crew chief could not
close the cover over the equipment bay -- due to the now some-6" thick bable.

(Anybody remember dzus fasteners?)

I always wondered what they were called - we use them in old jukeboxes -
thanks!

https://www.wagaero.com/hardware/fas...-fastener.html

Jonesy

Muchos gracias! (this is your second official language, eh?)

John :-#)#