Old January 27th 21, 12:23 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default accidentally cut off 24 pin ATX power connector and want to reattach, question

I accidentally cut off the 24 pin ATX power supply connector because I
thought I was going to use the power supply for another purpose, but
that turned out not to be the case. I want to reinstall back into the
desktop, but I have a question: since all the red, yellow, orange, and
black wires were going to be combined (for greater current handling in
non-PC use), I am wondering if I could just combine the same color
cutoff wires from the connector with the ones coming from the power
supply? Would sure save a lot of extra soldering. For example, in case
I'm not clear, can I combine all the orange wires from the supply and
all the orange wires from the connector and solder together? Thanks in
advance.

Old January 27th 21, 02:37 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2021/01/26 3:23 p.m., Jon I wrote:
I accidentally cut off the 24 pin ATX power supply connector because I
thought I was going to use the power supply for another purpose, but
that turned out not to be the case.* I want to reinstall back into the
desktop, but I have a question:* since all the red, yellow, orange, and
black wires were going to be combined (for greater current handling in
non-PC use), I am wondering if I could just combine the same color
cutoff wires from the connector with the ones coming from the power
supply?* Would sure save a lot of extra soldering.* For example, in case
I'm not clear, can I combine all the orange wires from the supply and
all the orange wires from the connector and solder together?* Thanks in
advance.

Yes.

I'd wire each wire separately but I'm anal. However you could blob all
the same colours together and then insulate carefully.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com

Old January 27th 21, 07:35 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 27/01/2021 01:37, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

In commoning up the individual wires, ye might need thicker cables to
handle the current.

I'd rewire each separately using similar wire to the original. Take ya
time and use heat shrink, leaded solder and a good soldering iron. It's
not a difficult job to be considering short cuts.

--
Adrian C
Old January 27th 21, 11:30 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2021/01/26 10:35 p.m., Adrian Caspersz wrote:
[...]

I interpreted the OP as saying he would join all the wires of the same
colour in a blob and glom the other wires to the same blob. Ugly, but it
would work. Not professional at all. However folks do like short cuts
and that was what I offered.
I would be too embarrassed to actually do that blob thingy though...

Old January 28th 21, 02:35 AM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 14:30:21 -0800, John Robertson wrote:
[...]

The OP should stagger the cuts for each set of common wires.
To attempt them side-by-side would put all the "blobs" side-by-side.

I am reminded of the idiot in the UASF that was told to replace a 36
conductor plug in a F-102's radar equipment bay. He cut the cable straight
across about 2" from the old connector. Then, after soldering new
"stub" wires into the new plug, he proceeded to splice it all back onto
the cut cable. He somehow succeded, but the plane's crew chief could not
close the cover over the equipment bay -- due to the now some-6" thick bable.

(Anybody remember dzus fasteners?)

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | Marvin | W3DHJ.net | linux
38.238N 104.547W | @ jonz.net | Jonesy | FreeBSD

Old January 28th 21, 07:02 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2021/01/27 5:35 p.m., Allodoxaphobia wrote:
[...]

Excellent point!

I am reminded of the idiot in the UASF that was told to replace a 36
conductor plug in a F-102's radar equipment bay. He cut the cable straight
across about 2" from the old connector. Then, after soldering new
"stub" wires into the new plug, he proceeded to splice it all back onto
the cut cable. He somehow succeded, but the plane's crew chief could not
close the cover over the equipment bay -- due to the now some-6" thick bable.

(Anybody remember dzus fasteners?)

I always wondered what they were called - we use them in old jukeboxes -
thanks!

https://www.wagaero.com/hardware/fas...-fastener.html

Jonesy

Muchos gracias! (this is your second official language, eh?)

John :-#)#

Old January 28th 21, 11:04 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default [OT now] ... was accidentally cut off 24 pin ATX.....

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 10:02:06 -0800, John Robertson wrote:

Muchos gracias! (this is your second official language, eh?)

errr, uuuuh, no, My second official language is IBM Mainframe Assembler.
After that comes German, then PHP. :-)

Jonesy
Old January 29th 21, 02:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 8:35:19 PM UTC-5, Allodoxaphobia wrote:
I am reminded of the idiot in the UASF that was told to replace a 36
conductor plug in a F-102's radar equipment bay. He cut the cable straight
across about 2" from the old connector. Then, after soldering new
"stub" wires into the new plug, he proceeded to splice it all back onto
the cut cable. He somehow succeded, but the plane's crew chief could not
close the cover over the equipment bay -- due to the now some-6" thick bable.

You could argue he was given insufficiently clear instructions on his task. Though a real tech should have figured it out.

In a factory where I worked there was an OSHA potential violation identified, the 6 mill roll stands did not have individual identification placards.

I wrote an order to the most recent hi use the engraver and make 6 placards labeled Mill Roll Stand #1 - #6.

I knew what I wanted but he didn't. Next time I checked all 6 mill roll stands had identical labels, Mill Roll Stand #1 - #6.

I will admit that I have also cut a cable too close to a connection and quickly regretted it.

Old January 29th 21, 03:28 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

"But you know what I mean."

No, I know what you said (wrote). I am still trying to discern what you mean.

"Can I ......?"

Answer A: I should certainly hope so!
Answer B: I do not know. Can you?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 29th 21, 08:41 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jon I wrote:
I accidentally cut off the 24 pin ATX power supply connector because I
thought I was going to use the power supply for another purpose, but
that turned out not to be the case. I want to reinstall back into the
desktop, but I have a question: since all the red, yellow, orange, and
black wires were going to be combined (for greater current handling in
non-PC use), I am wondering if I could just combine the same color
cutoff wires from the connector with the ones coming from the power
supply? Would sure save a lot of extra soldering. For example, in case
I'm not clear, can I combine all the orange wires from the supply and
all the orange wires from the connector and solder together? Thanks in
advance.

You could do this, but you'll quite a bit of flexibility if you combine
colors into big fat connections covered in heatshrink or tape. Your
connector may not fit in the case as the cables and patches are too stiff
or in the wrong place etc.