Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Wealthy couple chartered a plane to the Yukon, took vaccines doses meant for Indigenous elders, authorities said

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 27 Jan 2021 23:22:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 1/27/2021 8:33 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 11:34:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/27/2021 8:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I got a call at 5:30 PM today, asking if I could come in earlier than my
9PM appointment for my first shot. I had it in my arm by 6:15. My second
appointment is for Feb 23. All legally done without difficulty. How nice
it is to live in a well run Democratic state.

You mean as opposed to a poorly run state, like NY? The roll out is a disaster
there, websites don't work, phones don't get answered despite remaining on
the line for four hours. And the over arching message is, "we don't have
enough vaccine"! Gee, really? It's been clear for months that supply won't
be up to demand for probably at least 6 months. Cuomo, de Blasio, geniuses
in charge. They spend more time arguing with each other than anything else.
Oh, Cuomo had time to write a book about how to manage Covid in the middle
of this. Maybe if last summer he had spent that time figuring out a uniform
approach, a website that works, etc they wouldn't be in chaos now.

Can't speak about NY but you have to look at the whole system. Here in
Florida people are complaining they had to hold on the phone or keep
dialing.

Think about it. One Florida county has over 200,000 eligible people.
Most are calling the minute it goes active. Even if half try, it is
100,000 people.

How big of a phone system do you have to build to handle 100,000 calls
in the first few hours? How many staff do you need to answer? From
interviews on the news it seems like most called immediately or in the
first couple of hours. If it was equally spread over 4 hours that is
25,000 calls per hour. At 2 minutes per call that is 50,000 minutes of
phone time per hour. So, you need about 800 operators to answer them.

My county has about half that but went to a different system where you
register and they call you when doses are available.

We can't all be first n line.

I am not even trying. The choke point is vaccine availability. They
can't make it fast enough There is plenty of infrastructure already in
place for distribution and injection, using pharmacies. When they get
the supply problems worked out I will go down to Publix and get my
shot while buying groceries ... just like the flu shot.

I am not getting in this Black Friday fiasco.
I wouldn't camp out in the rain for a chance to get a $99 PS/5 either.

If they had plenty of supply no appointment would be needed, just line
up. Most of the locations can handle 1000 to 2000 a day.

I think if that happened, there would be more people in line than there
are people to give shots.

One of Biden's ideas is to allow doctors and nurses to give shots
anywhere in the country, even where they are not licensed. In order to
get more retired drs. and nurses involved, many of whom move to Florida,
Arizona etc. when they retire. I think this would only make a 10 or
20% increase, even if most retired folk volunteered.

Do they teach people in the army and national guard to give shots?

AIUI an appointment takes about 7 minutes, or less, to give a shot, so
appointments could be made 7 minutes apart. and if they had enough
vaccine, they could go 24 hours a day but then they would need 2 or 3
times as many shot givers.

As you say, infrastructure is there and easily expanded but people are
complaining about the phone lines and web sites. The capacity is there
but not all for the first hour it is open for appointments.

They had 10 months to prepare but not every state did.

OTOH, all the people who foolishly don't want the shot will mean I'll be
able to get mine that much earlier.