Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default 12vdc car battery charger

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 20:36:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/26/2021 2:44 PM, alan wrote:
My 40 year old steel case 6 amp automotive battery charger finally died.
I only want to replace it (and I don't want a contraption that jumps cars).

I just want a new 120VAC simple sturdy 12VDC automotive car battery
charger.
And I don't get out to the stores much lately.

Mine had an analog meter, and a 6V/12V switch (which I never used at 6V).
If they still come with an analog amperage needle, that would be nice.

Any advice where to get a good simple sturdy 12VDC battery charger online?

Chargers are good for dead batteries but battery tenders keep them from
going dead. The new AGM betteries and all the electronics are more
touchy than ever.

Ger something like this
https://www.stingrayforums.com/threa...-charger.7036/

If in the USA Ace haedware has a basic charger for $60.00

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...argers/8012982

No analog meter but in my experience that meter is the largest cause
of failure on basic shargers. I've replaced 3 or 4 over the years on
my "collection" of chargers (some of which are well ovewr 40 years
old)

My newest one is a MotoMaster Eliminator charger from Canadian Tire -
4 amp and 2 amp trickle with numerous LED indicators. I had a
Shumacher automatic charger that never did work properly. I have 3
"basic" chargers, 6, 10 anf 15 amp IIRC - fromthe '60s, '80s, and
'90s.

Here in Canada Grainger carried the Westward line of chargers with
analog meters - the cheapest is $118 Canadian dollars and is 2/10/55
amp.

Napa Part #: NBC 85510 is a 10/6/2 amp with an LED "meter" for $80 in
the USA. Seems any charger less than $75 or so is JUNK