Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 5:28:36 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)

It really depends on what you're using the bench _for_. The wrist rule
likely derives from the ideal height for planing lumber. I have both
a traditional height woodworking bench with face and tail vise, and two taller
(40")[*] benches for general assembly, electronics, tool boxes and a disk sander.

For non-woodworking tasks, I'd recommend higher, closer to the
eyes for detail work without bending over.

[*] for someone 195 cm, adjust as appropriate for end-user.

195 cm = 76.8"

40 / 76.8 = 0.52

0.52 * 61" = 31.7"

That's 4.7" higher than her wrists and certainly seems more reasonable than a 27"
workbench.