Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Younger folk & DIY mentality

You have to realise, some people are just not good at it. I was complimented
on the very symmetrical and lined up doors on my kitchen cabinets after
replacing hinges. I pointed out that there are ways to make sure the sag is
the same on them all, and hardly rocket science.
If a blind bloke can do it then why not the fitters, half the time cos
they are rushing it and need to get to the next job, when you do it yourself
you can think it through, be ready wityh tools and wedges to act as third
hands etc, and you can often feel wonky things before you drill right
through or saw it all the way, whatever you are doing. Having said that
though fitting sinks to worktops in Kitchens with wobbly walls is not easy,
and I've not done it all myself, ever, since I hate messing with things to
do with water, as it usually means crawling about and finding jammed
stopcoks or going in the loft.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
Another example.

We're fashioning a kitchen at work.
Gave my eldest son (recently turned 30) the tools and basic instruction
necessary to make a hole for a sink.

Much ****ing about later there's a sink in the worktop, on the wonk
slightly, too close to the back so that the worktop can't quite reach the
wall unless we severely *******ise the rear of the base unit. But it will
certainly do.

Positively I suggested that he had learned some pitfalls and gotchas so
that if he was to fit a sink again it would be easier and he'd do a better
job.

His retort was that he'd learned that if he needed to fit a sink again and
wanted a better job doing he'd get someone in. And i'm pretty sure he was
serious!

Keeps folk in work I suppose.