Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OTish: Hard Drive recovery after 8 years

On 20/01/2021 18:09, Fredxx wrote:
On 20/01/2021 17:48, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 22:05:12 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 19/01/2021 17:24, tim... wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
That is silly. Not the same bloke who cannot remember his password
for his bitcoins then?

no, a different guy

There are two different stories on the go, at the same time.

One involves a hard drive.

I think the other one involves an Ironkey with lockout

I haven't a clue what an Ironkey with lockout is

https://www.kingston.com/unitedkingd...rives/ironkey-
s1000-encrypted-usb-flash-drive

Personally I have my doubts as to whether anything you but - especially
when they don't release the code - is truly safe from GCHQ.

I dont given that even the FBI made a spectacular fool
of itself trying to force Apple to decrypt an iphone.

And Apple were made a fool of when a third party decrypted the phone data.

Apples policy is now to allow US agencies access to phone data:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN1ZK1CT

That is conflating a number of issues though - the original FBI request
was for backdoor access to the phones themselves, and also to unlock a
particular phone. Something that Apple (rightly IMHO) resisted since
backdoors work for bad guys as well as good.

The above article seems to be talking about access to data held in the
Apple cloud - which is s slightly different matter. Although even there
its seems that the FBI want access because its easy rather than strictly
necessary.

--
Cheers,

John.