Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default Computer keyboard problem

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fred wrote:

I'm using Windows 7, which though it's officially no longer supported
does receive period security updates.

But that may not be true forever...

To be honest, my present thinking is that I would sacrifice the latest in
security updates if the alternative was having to replace the software I
use day in, day out, which I can operate with no conscious thought.

I am still irritated by the lack of some
of the useful new stuff in the later OSs.

The only time I've ever been hacked (to my knowledge) - and it was a
serious business involving my bank account details - I was using a version
of Windows 7 which was completely up to date. Since then, Microsoft's
assurances about the very latest refinements being absolutely essential
tend to ring rather hollow.

Sure, and you can obviously do more frequent backups
so that you can recover gracefully if you do get infected.

I have also setup my banking so even a successful
hacker is no more than a minor nuisance.