Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing Oak.

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 18/01/2021 09:11, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Thomas
Prufer writes
On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 09:07:59 +0000, Tim Lamb

wrote:

Indeed. Current thinking is a cast off bed sheet.

Please take the warnings about self-ignition of oil-soaked rags
seriously. All
drying oils will oxidize and release heat. Combining flammable
solvents, wood
shavings, wood scrapings, sawdust, in a bucket or box is Not A Good
Idea; this
combination may catch fire many hours later.

Burn the rags, or soak in water and seal, or place in airtight
container, or
spread out to dry in a safe place.

Good timing.
I'm hoping to start oiling tomorrow. I have had self ignition before
but from car body sealant/glass fibre work.

Tim: How I apply oil is this.

A small pad of kitchen roll with a little oil applied and then rubbed
in to the wood.

No drips, no spillage. no need for anything beyond masking tape

OK. My previous experience is limited to winter coating stored outdoor
furniture where drips/overcoating not an issue.

The manufacturers recommendation is to use a natural hair brush and then
wipe off any visible excess after a couple of hours.

I'm still at the preparation stage as matching the paint for the plaster
repairs is not as easy as reading the labels on the tins left over by
the decorators might be imagined:-(

--
Tim Lamb