Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Fishing.

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 13:36:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
As I understand it, Michael Goves (adoptive) father ran a fish processing
business in Aberdeen which closed as a result of the Common Fisheries
Policy. This is why Gove is so anti-EU.

Oil took over Aberdeen harbour. Fishing moved up the coast a bit to places
like Peterhead. Same applied to all the premises round about the harbour.
Oil companies paid more to use them than fishing earned.

And that's the point. Everything has a value / price (especially these
days) and it's quite possible these fisherman could earn a living ...
maybe even a better / more predictable living than the one they are
doing that often damages the seabed, damages the viability of many
species and causes the greatest levels of animal death (inc 'by
catch') of any of those 'animal exploitation' industries.

I wonder how much (more) diesel and lost earnings it takes to land
your catch in Denmark rather than your (UK) home port?

What people will do to be able to sell their product to the EU eh.

Makes you wonder if there was a way we could deal with the EU that
could have been easier, fewer delays and less paperwork etc ... ? ;-)

Cheers, T i m