Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Computer keyboard problem

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Word processors have got completely out of hand. It took me several
google searches to reveal that a style can be overriden by local
formatting which need to be cleared..

I stopped using 'word processors' back in the 1980s (probably, it was
so long ago I can't really remember).

Much of my communication is by E-Mail and that *should* be only plain
text really, I see no good reason for lots of formatting in an E-Mail.

If you want to emphasise something then *emphasise* it and, if you
want a heading:-

A Heading
=========

Even letters I write I simply edit some plain text and fire it at the
printer, hand written letters don't have big headings so why should
simple printed ones?

If I do actually want some formatted text then I use something like
reStructuredText (look it up, it's a general sort of markup language)
and convert it to HTML or whatever I happen to need.

Big advantage of all this is that I use the same text editor for
*everything*, and it's much more powerful than any word processor at
actually managing, changing and formatting *text*.

--
Chris Green
ยท