Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Stair rail - which side?

On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 8:07:36 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 3:37:49 PM UTC-5, Jim Joyce wrote:

Going down stairs backwards sounds pretty dangerous to me. You might
want to try to come up with Plan B...

I was thinking the same thing, but I just saw his explanation for doing it
that way. I'm not old enough to argue.

Really, you should try it both ways. I do it that way in the morning, not so much to avoid falling, but because until the joints loosen a bit it's much easier to go down backwards. There are more joints that need good range of motion forward. I have arthritis developing from old injuries and they're stiff in the morning. I spend the first half hour stretching while I drink my morning coffee.

I will grant that backwards can be dangerous if someone has left clutter on the stairs that you didn't notice. Especially roller skates, hate that.

When the children were toddlers I made them do "tummy in" on steep stairs.. It was clearly safer. Similarly coming down a ladder frontwards is a mistake most people only make a few times, although I've run into some stubborn knuckleheads who got hurt more than they needed.

Do this simple experiment. I think you will find backwards feels safer.

Stand on a flat floor. Balance on one foot. Reach forward with the other. Notice it can't touch the ground? It will hover maybe 4 inches above the floor. When we walk or run, we do it by falling forward. Our center of gravity moves forward. On a stair, that 4 inches gets added to the 7 inches of the tread, so the fall is larger. Try it on a stair paying attention, and probably want to hold the rail.

Now repeat on a flat floor, but reach backward. To put that foot on the ground, the natural instinct is just bend the supporting knee, with the center of gravity stable. Yes, you can theoretically do that forwards as well but that's not the way we learned to walk so most of us don't or can't.