Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Finishing Oak.

On 15/01/2021 09:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 13/01/2021 20:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Fredxx
writes
On 12/01/2021 18:16, Tim Lamb wrote:
We are coming to the end of having a new staircase fitted. Apart
from* specifying and ordering, my total involvement so far has been
helping* manoeuvre it through the front door and machining up a
strip of farm* Oak* to finish the landing return!
I don't think beeswax is ideal as a stair finish but what should I
use?* My carpenters have recommended *Osmo* which is a fancy
finishing oil* from Germany.

It is an oil that a lot of professionals use. I know someone who
swears by the stuff,
*Perhaps someone could explain what is meant by *lint free cloth*. I
had* in mind surreptitiously acquiring a handy teacloth:-)

Something that does not shed fibres into your nice finish while
applying it!

Indeed. Current thinking is a cast off bed sheet. Progress so far has
been to re-establish the boss's TV viewing area while I wait for the
plaster repairs to set hard.

I use kitchen roll to apply oils.
Or a dry sponge

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell