Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Compulsary New Radiators

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 13/01/2021 09:55, charles wrote:
In article ,
Owain Lastname wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 at 06:01:57 UTC, Funny Lingus wrote:
Question: Does the team think that putting the heaters behind the
doors would have any detrimental effect on heat distribution. All the
storage heaters are under windows at the moment, so immediately lose
a huge amount of heat, although double glazed.

British Standard 5449 "(Central Heating) Forced circulation hot water
heating systems for domestic premises" recommends: "Wherever
practicable individual heat emitters (other than fan convectors)
should be located on outside walls preferably beneath windows to
offset the cooling effect: it is an advantage to choose an emitter of
such a length that it occupies the full width of the window."

My experience is that installers now prefer to put radiators on
internal walls ostensibly to reduce heat loss but I think it's
actually because it uses a lot less pipe.

When we moved into this house' over 40 years ago, we found the
radiators in the new extension were in the middle of two no-window
walls. Basically, nowhere to put furniture such as bookcase or piano. I
capped off one feed and extended the other to under the window. Had to
do it on the surface since the room has a concrete floor. The rest of
the house has suspended wooded floors. [Snip]

It should have a construction slab about 5 inches thick, topped with
about 80mm of aerated screed which is easier to 'polish' to give a flat
surface. You can (or should have been) able to dig a channel through the
screed without a massive amount of effort.

and then replace the stuck down floor covering

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England