Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Finishing Oak.

On 12/01/2021 18:16, Tim Lamb wrote:

We are coming to the end of having a new staircase fitted. Apart from
specifying and ordering, my total involvement so far has been helping
manoeuvre it through the front door and machining up a strip of farm Oak
to finish the landing return!
I don't think beeswax is ideal as a stair finish but what should I use?
My carpenters have recommended *Osmo* which is a fancy finishing oil
from Germany.

Yup its a good hybrid product with traditional oils and varnishes and
waxes in various concoctions. A bit more hard wearing that an oiled
finish on its own.

Axminster do lots of them:

https://www.axminstertools.com/insta.../result?q=osmo

To keep the price down you could also just go for a traditional oil
finish on the bits you only look at, and reserve the posher stuff for
the high contact bits.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...finishing_oils

Attempting to buy some through Amazon, I got caught by their new secure
login: where you have to *tap* the message sent to your mobile! Are
geriatric/Luddites not allowed to shop anymore!

Probably just a reflection that the geriatric Luddites are prime targets
for scams, so getting them on the case with two factor authentication is
a good move for all concerned!

I suppose I could get
the catering dept. to use her account. Two birds with one stone as the
new stair was entirely her idea!

:-)

--
Cheers,