Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Compulsary New Radiators

On 13/01/2021 10:04, jon wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 01:07:07 -0800, Owain Lastname wrote:

On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 at 06:01:57 UTC, Funny Lingus wrote:
Question: Does the team think that putting the heaters behind the doors
would have any detrimental effect on heat distribution. All the storage
heaters are under windows at the moment, so immediately lose a huge
amount of heat, although double glazed.

British Standard 5449 "(Central Heating) Forced circulation hot water
heating systems for domestic premises" recommends: "Wherever practicable
individual heat emitters (other than fan convectors) should be located
on outside walls preferably beneath windows to offset the cooling
effect: it is an advantage to choose an emitter of such a length that it
occupies the full width of the window."

My experience is that installers now prefer to put radiators on internal
walls ostensibly to reduce heat loss but I think it's actually because
it uses a lot less pipe. They also like radiators back-to-back on the
same wall for the same reason.

A housing association job in an occupied property will try to be the
quickest, easiest, (cheapest) least disruptive job possible.

Storage heaters shouldn't be on external walls because of their far
greater heat loss to the back of the heater.

In larger rooms I would push for two radiators where possible.

I had a grant-assisted heating system put in last year and the
installers hated me. They wanted a quick easy cheap install with pipes
going across the hall ceiling, only to find that all my cornicing has
cabling inside it. (Concrete floor and ceiling in a flat.) So they ended
up with long 22mm pipe runs round the entire perimeter of the building.
I regard this as useful background heat even if the radiators are off.

Also watch them installing them because they seem to default to minmum
spacing off the wall to look "neater". I made tnem turn the wall
brackets round to space radiators further off the external walls.

Overall the job wasn't what I'd have wanted if I was paying for it all
myself but a new gas supply, boiler and 6 rads for £1100 all in was a
bargain.

Owain

Thanks Owain, useful info there in your note.

I don't believe it is possible to have gas installed, and entire
boiler+rads+controls+pipes for £1100. £11,000 very possibly and
half of that for providing gas to the property.