Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing Oak.

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 09:43:03 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 12/01/2021 22:29, Nick Odell wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 18:16:43 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip
Attempting to buy some through Amazon, I got caught by their new secure
login: where you have to *tap* the message sent to your mobile! Are
geriatric/Luddites not allowed to shop anymore!

snip

Tell me about it! I am ordering on my laptop and my primitive,
voice-and-text-only featurephone rings with a click-through link in
the SMS. Except I can't click through on a featurephone. So far I have
succeeded by typing the link, character by character, into my laptop
browser but why can't they just send an authorisation code like
everybody else does?

Surely they are only sending the security settings by the means you
specified?

It is sent as an (authorised) SMS but instead of a short code to enter
into your browser they send a fairly long, clickable link - ie
breaking out of the SMS system

I haven't had this with Amazon yet but with other similar systems I've
had the options of text/sms, email, and automated voice via normal
landline phone.

You have the pleasure of Amazon yet to come, then :-)

Nick