Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Compulsary New Radiators

Not sure they should be compulsory, I use Storage heaters and have been
pleased with them except for the clunky mechanical louvers getting stuck
occasionally.

I thought the whole idea was eventually to use a reversible heat pump and
then it could be more efficient.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Funny Lingus" wrote in message
I have lived alone in a three bedroomed association house for 17 years and
now there is a plan to replace all the storage heaters with a hot water
system. This seems to be initiated by a government directive to make home
heating more efficient by using a heat pipe. Any efficiency gain would
obviously be lost by transmitting heat using water, rather than direct
electricity.
I am proposing that the installation of new radiators are fitted behind
inward opening doors in the bedrooms and living room, this is all dead
wall space and doesn't interfere with existing fitments. The upstairs
landing will be housing the electric boiler and would facililitate short
runs of pipework to the bedrooms, making a cleaner, more compact job.

My wife, who lives in the next village has had such a conversion, but with
gas as the heat source instead of electricity. This keeps breaking down
and the (engineer) has to come out to fiddle with the boiler, at least a
couple of dozen times now since 2019.

Question: Does the team think that putting the heaters behind the doors
would have any detrimental effect on heat distribution. All the storage
heaters are under windows at the moment, so immediately lose a huge amount
of heat, although double glazed.

Best regards