Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Chyyyyna order

On 11/01/2021 18:22, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
On 11/01/2021 18:09, Fredxx wrote:
On 11/01/2021 18:01, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
Just ordered something from Chyyyna at $35 post free and ebay added
$7 VAT ...never done that before....guess it's time to stop buying
stuff.......why is brexit affecting stuff from Chyyyyna ? ...

They're doing you a favour. HMRC should be charging VAT on import and
the carrier would usually add an admin charge, in the region of £10.

For me it's brill, as I can generally reclaim the VAT and don't get
stung by an admin fee.

never paid vat on a small orders like that from china before....don't
get why brexit is now affecting small orders from china that were just
delivered without the vat and £8 admin po charge ?????

Previous rules allowed a minimum value of £15 before duty was payable.
Some retialers like Tesco would ship CDs from offshore to bypass VAT.
That means your import should have attracted VAT and a courier admin charge.

Many Chinese sellers are already VAT registered, though my experience of
them is they are typically unwilling to provide a VAT invoice.

I don't see the issue, it makes legitimate UK products competitive on a
level playing ground. You seem to want your cake and eat it.