Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Three Jeeps Three Jeeps is offline

Default Reliablest cars

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 2:36:58 PM UTC-4, Martin James Smith wrote:
Hi all,

Say I wanted to buy the most reliable new compact car on the market
right now, the one least likely to ever break down on me in the
future, what would it be?

cheers,

MS

Is long term reliability the only criteria? If so, I suggest toyota corolla or prius hybrid.
I recently went through a new vehicle search and reliability, safety, fuel efficiency , usable space and creature comforts were my primary criteria (roughly in that order). I consulted lots of different reviews and tried to get repair types and numbers. I ended up getting a toyota highlander hybrid limited. (@ 36 MPG). The subaru ascent and audi q5 (and 7) were fairly serious contenders. I did look at hundi and kia (sorento). They both got high marks as well but no hybrid models. Same for the subaru ascent. In the end, hybrid/fuel efficiency sorta drove my thinking.
I did look at e-vehicles but from my perspective, they arn't 'quite there yet'...

I did drive a 2021 Prius as a test (as long a I was looking). That is why I endorse it.
Now if you are a DIY repair person, a hybrid may be out of your comfort zone. I have been downloading the toyota FSMs for my vehicle for the last 24 hrs...trying to understand the basics of the propulsion system and even found a crude simulink model of the electronic drive - ICE tandem to play with..
Lots of computer power in a hybrid, and being a CE & EE, I am hoping they employed good sw rel and defect detection practices in their design (Since I teach this stuff I am always a bit curious how companies do it).
If an EMP hits, I'll be going nowhere but I'll take my chances.....
good luck