Posted to alt.home.repair
Haha[_2_] Haha[_2_] is offline

Default Can I use a clothes iron in place of "seam iron" on carpet?

Be sure it is one your wife doesn't want lol The OP maybe a guy and probably straight and married but perhaps he does the ironing!

I looked this up on the internet, and hunker.com suggests using an old wet towel between a hot (ie 800w) iron and the tape. You have to have the carpet upside-down though- it's hard to beat a seaming iron in terms of staying in situ on the floor I think (and therefore monitor what you are doing to some degree) For this reason I'll probably splash out on the real thing for my particular job, then resell it.

But maybe for a smaller job with an 'unfussy' carpet, a cheap iron could be the way to go. Just check it goes up to 800w or so,

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-381596-.htm