Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Head Lamp recommendations

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 18:32:47 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

There are some things out there I'm happy to recommend to others (and
would replace if it packed up etc), the Petzl Zipka head torches being
one (and daughters tree climbing harness and safety helmet are also
Petzl and seem to be good gear),

Yes, my BiL recommended them to me - and no regrets. Must be 10 years old
now.

Ours are probably 20+.

the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range
of GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

Swiss Army Knife maybe.

Maybe. I don't know it they do multitools as I'd say I use the pliers
as much as I use anything else. On the PST II the pliers are subtle,
both strong enough to undo a nut in an emergency but fine enough to
pull a splinter etc.

https://utilityarchive.com/products/...therman-pst-ii

https://www.outsideonline.com/239885...ultitool#close

It's one of those things I've pushed way beyond what I think is safe
or reasonable (needs-must / emergencies etc) and it's held. I have
often need a crosshead screwdriver for example and none of my
dedicated tools seem to fit but the Leatherman one does, from
surprisingly small to ridiculously big.

Bahco and Wera tools. Sorts of things that might cost
many times more than a Lidl equivalent but last forever, work, and are a
pleasure to use.

I don't think I have either but have heard the name mentioned a few
times (favourably).

Even I can monetise that :-)

That's often why I ask here ... because it's easy (these days) to get
*something* that works but some personal experience often gives you
that real world feedback on something that works well and reliably and
that is invaluable.

Cheers, T i m