Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Head Lamp recommendations

On 30 Dec 2020 at 20:33:25 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 17:59:16 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

On 30 Dec 2020 at 10:05:13 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 02:03:22 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I've an oldish Petzl - does the job well, but I find the light dips
considerably after about 20 minutes using AAA rechargeables.

I think that used to be part of the design ... and the battery voltage
dropped past a certain threshold it turned off the outer two LEDS to
give you *some* light.

This one seems to have only 1 LED.

Ah yes, I was talking about our Zipkas. ;-)

Given that 3 x NiMh are nominally only 3.6V and 3 x alkaline 4.5, it
makes sense such a light might go into 'energy conservancy mode'
quicker on rechargeables.

OOI, do you happen to know how a Lithium pack could work - I thought they
came
in multiples of 3.7V?

Yes, I believe they do but given these new models are 'smart' (3
brightness levels) the chances it will regulate any power supply
voltage down to something stable (3 x NiMH / Lipo being the lowest).

snip

We used to just use good Alkaline in ours as one set would easily last
a 2 week camping holiday and if out walking would carry a couple of
spare sets 'in case'.

Yes, I do try to avoid disposables if I can.

So do we for pretty anything used when at or based from home. Whilst
we used to take a 5W solar panel with us when motorcycle camping, you
could never *really* guarantee enough sun at the right times (when we
were camping) to bring all our other batteries up to 100%.

snip

eg, The USP for the Petzl Zipka wasn't specifically the light (which
was good, long lasting), the weight (lighter than most), or the price
(not particularly 'cheap'), but how convenient it was in / to use, to
the point that all the other cheaper / brighter / more-variable
headlights we have here stay in the draw unused.

Well, suitably jealous, and it would be sold if the current one packed up :-)

There are some things out there I'm happy to recommend to others (and
would replace if it packed up etc), the Petzl Zipka head torches being
one (and daughters tree climbing harness and safety helmet are also
Petzl and seem to be good gear),

Yes, my BiL recommended them to me - and no regrets. Must be 10 years old
now.

the Leatherman multitools tools (and
particularly the PST II, for an everyday carry) and the Garmin range
of GPS's (had one since they first came out and they have all been
brilliant) ... oh, and the MagLite torches etc.

Swiss Army Knife maybe. Bahco and Wera tools. Sorts of things that might cost
many times more than a Lidl equivalent but last forever, work, and are a
pleasure to use. Even I can monetise that :-)

--
Cheers, Rob