Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Head Lamp recommendations

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 02:03:22 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I've an oldish Petzl - does the job well, but I find the light dips
considerably after about 20 minutes using AAA rechargeables.

I think that used to be part of the design ... and the battery voltage
dropped past a certain threshold it turned off the outer two LEDS to
give you *some* light.

Given that 3 x NiMh are nominally only 3.6V and 3 x alkaline 4.5, it
makes sense such a light might go into 'energy conservancy mode'
quicker on rechargeables.

I think my Garmin GPS3+ and V had a setting for dry or rechargeables
for that very reason (low battery warning).

I'm inclined to
try their rechargeable pack, but at £20 . . .

We used to just use good Alkaline in ours as one set would easily last
a 2 week camping holiday and if out walking would carry a couple of
spare sets 'in case'.

If using them at home we might use rechargeables as we had a good few
ready to go. ;-)

The key thing about ours was the simplicity and ease of use of the
recoiling headband (Zipka). It really turns it from a bulky / tangly
'lump' into something more like an egg, very easy to slip into even a
trouser pocket and we could put any one on (of the three) and they all
*automagically* fitted each others heads (or post, leg, car wing
mirror etc).

It can also be worn over a hat *without* any extra / different
adjustment.

eg, The USP for the Petzl Zipka wasn't specifically the light (which
was good, long lasting), the weight (lighter than most), or the price
(not particularly 'cheap'), but how convenient it was in / to use, to
the point that all the other cheaper / brighter / more-variable
headlights we have here stay in the draw unused.

Cheers, T i m