Posted to alt.home.repair
\[email protected] \Retired@Home.com is offline

Default Pilot light but won't stay lit

On 12/28/20 11:15 AM, Emptynester wrote:
I have a Majestic, direct vent, gas log fireplace model DV360 that is 16
years old. When I try to light it, the pilot usually lights quickly and
will stay lit as long as I am pushing in on the pilot knob.Â* I have
tried holding the button anywhere between 1 to 5 minutes.Â* I also took a
lighter to the TH and TP to try and make them hotter.Â* The problem is,
the second I release the pushed-in pilot knob, so that I can turn it to
ON, the flame goes out. I have tried cleaning the thermocouple and
thermopile and blowing out the pilot the best I can. I can't see the
burner tube because I believe it is hidden under a burner plate/burner
housing assembly, so I can't clean that.Â* The pilot is a nice blue and
shoots out in three directions.Â* It just that the pilot won't stay lit
long enough so that I can turn the knob to ON.Â* I also have a wall
switch that I normally don't turn on until after the pilot stays lit on
its own but I tried turning it on while trying to light the pilot but it
did help any.Â* The TH, TP and Pilot look to be clean and not at all
corroded. Funny thing is, it was working fine for the last month and
then stopped lighting.Â* Any suggestions on what to try next.

Classic symptoms of a failed thermocouple. It needs replaced. Nice that
it lasted 16 years.