Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car Charging

On 26/12/2020 15:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Â* David wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 14:38:31 +0000, JohnP wrote:

Realisticallty - if it was a new norm - what additional cost would
it be
for new builds to have a 3 phase supply brought to the meter enclosure
for possible use for a car charger?

Most comments seem to consider charging a single car.

A lot of families are two car these days, especially in suburbia and
outwards.
We were 2 car when we were both working.
Teenage kids at home can easily lead to 3 or 4 car families.

At what point does it become infeasible to charge multiple cars
overnight
using a single 80 or 100 Amp 2 phase supply?

Noting in passing that a decade or so back planning for new builds
restricted parking to 1.5 cars IIIRC so most new build parking is likely
to be in communal bays not on your own property.

You are saying that everyone you know uses up the maximum range of their
car every single day? Do you re-fuel your existing one every single
evening, then?

I thought TNP or someone had estimated current car usage from a
countrywide petrolÂ* supplied/annum figure. Doesn't this lead directly to
a total mileage/charge requirement if we all went electric?

It does.

It is not as simple as all that - back in around 2011 or thereabouts I
simply took the KWh value of all fossil fuels burnt in the UK and
estimated what amount of electricity would be needed to replace it. At
the same efficiency it was a 300GW peak grid to do EVERYTHING with
leccy, making no assumptions about how it was done. Something like 5
times what we now have

But we know that leccy cars are way more efficient than fuel cars in
terms of leccy-to-wheel so in that sense we can use a lot less.
Heatpumps are more efficient than gas and so on.

So its complicated. IN reality I suspect BEVS are here to stay in urban
contexts anyway, if cities do not become Covid graveyards, and if their
ownership and usage is incetivised by e.g pollution taxes then grids
will be uprated and charging solutions rolled out to keep up with demand.

The big crunch will come when part or all of the 'solution' proves to be
impractical or impossibly expensive or totally unacceptable.

And that's why the last government energy paper in the small print below
the renewable headlines quietly announced 60GW of nuclear power by 2050

I see now that they are talking of increasing peak nuclear capability
with molten salt heat bank storages so they can be used to back up
windmills!

You couldn't make it up

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump