Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Car Charging

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
David wrote:
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 14:38:31 +0000, JohnP wrote:

Realisticallty - if it was a new norm - what additional cost would it be
for new builds to have a 3 phase supply brought to the meter enclosure
for possible use for a car charger?

Most comments seem to consider charging a single car.

A lot of families are two car these days, especially in suburbia and
outwards.
We were 2 car when we were both working.
Teenage kids at home can easily lead to 3 or 4 car families.

At what point does it become infeasible to charge multiple cars overnight
using a single 80 or 100 Amp 2 phase supply?

Noting in passing that a decade or so back planning for new builds
restricted parking to 1.5 cars IIIRC so most new build parking is likely
to be in communal bays not on your own property.

You are saying that everyone you know uses up the maximum range of their
car every single day? Do you re-fuel your existing one every single
evening, then?

I thought TNP or someone had estimated current car usage from a
countrywide petrol supplied/annum figure. Doesn't this lead directly to
a total mileage/charge requirement if we all went electric?

--
Tim Lamb