Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Old sump pump hole

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 16:56:46 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 16:04:12 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 25 Dec 2020 12:32:17 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On 12/25/2020 12:01 PM, Wpellis wrote:
It's just a hole in the floor but closer to the dirt part so fills
quickly. We put the new hole closer to the other side of the house so
the water going out wouldn't come back against the house but drain down
an incline. It works beautifully but for the water overflowing from the
old hole. Should I fill it or just try to cut a groove thru the cement
to drain it?

Clearly, the old hole is properly constructed to catch the water that
needs to be expelled. Put the old pump back in it and pipe it to where
you want it to go. Put the battery pump in the new hole, and it will
catch the water flowing from the old hole when the power is out after it
flows across your floor and messes it all up.

Trench the old hole into the new hole across the
cellar floor ... I've seen it done in a very old house once
for the outlet drainage - grade "improvements" outside
made the location of the old sump hole very difficult .
John T.

I woudn't own a house that "needed" a sump pump. New code here
requires all new houses be equipped with one whether required or not.
This house sits high, in sand. Drainage is fefinitely not a problem.
My first houde was the same - high and dry -frainage was never a
problem.
A few years ago I found my "dream house". Bungalow - Double garage -
with full basement under the garage - even had an "access port" that
if I didn't know any beter I would have called a "service pit" - and
the garage was high enough I could have installed a hoist. Walk down
access to the basement (would have been a perfect "shop") but the
house was built into the side of a hill and it was set about 3 feet
too low into the lot. The basement floor was about 2 feet lower than
the storm drain on the street and the sump / drainage system was less
than adequately designed. The water table was between 6 inches above
the basement floor and 6 inches below the floor depending on the
season so the floors were always damp, at best and the sump pump ran
about 23 3/4 hours a day from Feb to Nov.
Rel;uctantly I walked away from it - even at $300,000. (That was just
before the prices started to go nuts - likely $875,000 or more today)

I witnessed a somewhat similar situation when I lived in Montana. A
coworker bought a house that was ideal for him, except that the basement
regularly flooded. Faced with a situation where he could dig a drainage
system and/or add a sump pump, he took a different approach. He simply had
the house lifted about 4-5 feet. He brought the foundation up, set the
house back down, and raised the basement floor, then he landscaped to make
it look like it had always been that way. Before, part of the yard sloped
toward the house, but after, it all sloped away.