Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Default Heads up LED bulbs B&Q

I think the most annoying domestic device with illumination issues was a
Pioneer receiver back in the 70s. Very good receiver, but who on earth
decided to make the dial pointer a Perspex light pipe with a tiny wired in
bulb on the top and put tine fuse like lights behind the blue dial? To get
the pointer bulb out needed a soldering iron. I pretty soon tired of this
and modified it to use an led. Same for the stereo light. But the dial
lights I had to change every year or so, and this needed half the dial
mechanism to be dismantled to get at the sockets for the bulbs. In the end I
actually traced the supply to these bulbs and put two series diodes in
series with it, which dropped it by a bit over a volt and hence they did not
blow so often.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"gareth evans" wrote in message
On 23/12/2020 12:45, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/12/2020 12:32, Stephen Cole wrote:

You had major problems changing a lightbulb only a few weeks ago, Jim.
It's
all in the archives, mate. Thanks, Jim.

Well you make it sound simple as with a house light bulb......well with
an IC728 transceiver you have to open it up and split the PA section
away and fold out the front panel...then you have to unsolder from the
circuit board the miniature bulbs then solder in new miniature bulbs
than put it all back together again or were you referring to the
electroluminescent panel on the scanner which requires you cut the panel
to size and then connect the high voltage terminals....all not as easy
as replacing a light bulb in a house....but I don't suppose you are any
good at that either.....

Q. How many cockroaches does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Nobody knows, because as soon as the light comes back on, they all
scatter! :-)

A Very Merry Christmas to all my readers, even to the abusive child-like
cole and mm0fmf, in the hope that they'll take it to heart and start
behaving like responsible adults.