Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lighting Incompatibility?

On 21/12/2020 20:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 20:00:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 21/12/2020 16:46, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 14:55:27 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 20/12/2020 23:11, Andy Burns wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:

LEDs less efficient than fluoro?? Are we being lied to by TPTB
about that as well?

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Lighting/L1_Regs/Lumen_Complies.htm

typical LED 806 lumen lamp under 7 watts

I'd say that's a "no"
Actually if you look carefully fluoros are in the 60-70l/With LEDS in
the 50-60l/W range so the fluoros have a slight edge, but its not worth
getting excited about - lighting perception is logarithmic and you wont
notice the difference.

Well then why are you being forced to dump your old fluoros and adopt
LEDs then? Is this another EU scam to fleece everyone?

I think he asked if it were worth it, because they were flickering or
summat. I'd certainly hang a LED compatible tube in the old fitting, if
the fitting was OK.

How does that work, then? I'd have thought the HV gubbins in the tube
mounting would zap the LEDs?

Well I am only guessing, but Id say that the same inductor that limits
tube current limits the LED current and with enough in series you can
make up the voltage, or not, as you prefer. .

I like LED light bettter than any other.

I can't see what the issue is. I've no problem at all with CFL and you
can get them in a good range of colour temperatures so you don't have
to put up with that office-like 'cool white' effect.

CFLs flicker, don't come on for ages, take longer to warm up, then die.
How many do you want?

--
€œwhen things get difficult you just have to lie€

€• Jean Claud Jüncker