Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another John Another John is offline

Default "Kinetic door bell"

I'm planning to get a Byron plug-in wireless kinetic door bell to
replace the battery powered bellpush wireless set that we've had for a
few years. Any comments from those with experience?

The problem with the battery-driven one is that the bell push is
extremely unreliable - some days it works, some days not. It's on the
porch which faces directly south; thus, it's exposed to the extremes of
weather. I've replaced the battery 3 or 4 times in its life (and the
battery holder seems pretty flimsy to me), and I have sealed the
bell-push with various gunges round the edges every now and again to try
and keep out damp -- but after a period of solid functionality, it
always becomes unreliable again.

One thing that bugs me about the kinetic one is: the bell-push travel
seems tiny (I've tried it through the packaging): how can such a tiny
movement generate enough [whatever]. And how long will _this_ one last,
I wonder?

Cheers
John