Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Travis Perkin.

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , Theo
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
The odd thing is ToolStation owned by the same company seems quite
efficient for click and collect - although I generally use Screwfix due
to a more convenient branch. With them, all I have to do is show them
the SMS on my mobile for the order number.

TS used to be independent, and it showed. When Nook e-readers were
reduced to £29 each, someone in TS's IT department must have snagged a
bulk order because suddenly the branch staff were using them as handheld
reminders of the orders they were picking.

The Nooks ran Android under the hood and presumably someone in IT wrote a
custom Android app that hooked into the till system. That was a hack
worthy of a startup and probably saved them a good bunch of cash (versus
going to some industrial PC vendor and paying £500 a unit).

I don't know how much TS has been integrated into the Travis Perkins
empire, but I think they have their own distribution centres so
presumably not that much.

The two local ones have their shops on TP sites

They're in Wickes round here. Very odd to see the same products at
different prices on Wickes shelves and from TS.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.