Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Keep taking the tablets

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 18/12/2020 13:39:03, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
On 18/12/2020 10:25:02, John Rumm wrote:
Quick little electronics hack project for those interested:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._serial_to_USB

(early draft - so typos may abound!)

I use a Belkin RS232 to USB converter as you can still get drivers
for these.

If Windows 10 sees a USB COM port it will naturally use its own
drivers. Prior to Windows 10 COM ports were a nightmare, hence the
FTDI debacle.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ftdi-a...silent-update/

It might be worth plugging in your old converters into a Windows 10
machine to see if they are recognised before binning them.

The MC145406 changes from TTL levels to RS232 levels. You can get
very cheap TTL level RS232 USB converters though they don't always
come with all the signals I believe you might need.

Nice project.

Many aftermarket car ECUs (MegaSquirt, etc) have an RS 232 port. And
virtually no laptops (used for tuning) have them these days. I've not
had a problem with my USB to serial adaptor on changing to Win10.
Although there are some around that don't work with MS at all - a
different chipset.

I'm guessing the ones that don't work don't conform to the USB VCM USB
protocols and have a bespoke driver.

IIRC from the MegaSquirt forum, it is to do with the 'make' of chipset in
the adaptor. I'll look up the name of the one that seems to work best if
you want.

I do have a USB to serial adaptor that won't work with MS - but Windows
doesn't seem to object to it.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.