Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Keep taking the tablets

On 18/12/2020 11:51, newshound wrote:
On 18/12/2020 11:22, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._serial_to_USB

My wacom is a USB version, but same as you discovered, using a tablet
didn't turn me from a scrawler into an artist, so it sits in the
bottom of a drawer somewhere.

Same experience as Andy.

But your project *really* makes me feel inadequate: decades ago I used
to do something like the equivalent of stuff like that. I remember
soldering a rotary switch to the jumpers of a PDP-8 board that cost more
than a year's salary. Carefully.

:-)

Yup I remember a certain "pucker" moment making mods on a double
eurocard sized 386 processor board... with all milspec components, a
deep multi layer board, and this was in 1988 when even the retail 386
was silly money!

(IIRC the card was worth £20K in 1988 money!)

And Vero wire! That really takes me back. I had a contractor friend who
had a home-worker who could put 1500 wires on a prototype wire-wrap
board without a single mistake.

I remember working on a prototype CPU card that someone had wired up
with Dagewire - It was an enamelled copper wire based prototype system
that used little IDC terminals on the bottom of a matrix board. It was
fine at first, until you had to make changes, and it becomes
progressively less reliable with time! It made doing hardware software
integration fun as you always had to work out if the software is wrong,
the hardware design wrong, the build wrong, or do you just have yet
another loose connection!

(vero wire would have probably been better!)

--
Cheers,

John.