Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waylaid in the street by a nutcase

On 18/12/2020 12:05, Tim Streater wrote:
On 18 Dec 2020 at 11:47:38 GMT, Scion wrote:

Black Lives Matter makes more sense if you think of it as "Black Lives
Matter Too" or "All Lives Matter, Even (Gasp) Black Ones".

Couched in those terms, it would most likely have been uncontroversial, and
perhaps led to more useful outcomes - even a realisation that structural
problems are at the heart of a lot of the US's troubles. This is something
that I started to have ideas about when I lived there. Trouble is tha Yanks
think theirs is the best system ever, getting them to even think about it is
difficult.

And it's not just about the life itself, i.e. it being wrong for the
police to shoot black people dead, but the life being lived. It's saying,
it hurts when people notice a black man is walking towards them so they
cross the street to avoid them. It's saying it is not right that every day
you see people looking at you and noticing their expression change as they
judge you through their prejudiced eye. It's saying being stopped and
searched by the police ten times more often than your white friends starts
to wear thin.

Highlighting actual experiences is a good way to go.

When I had shoulder length hair and an afghan fur coat I was always
being stopped by police.

They never found anything.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell