Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Car battery 12.1v

On 14/12/2020 13:52, R D S wrote:
On 14/12/2020 13:21, Martin Brown wrote:

The battery might just be OK but your usage profile has shagged it. It
might respond to a bit of TLC if it hasn't been left like that too long.

It would normally get a decent run often enough, even during lockdown,
but in months of late i've had a load of DIY tasks flitting between 3
places all within a couple of miles of each other. Lights, wipers,
heated seats etc. It's occurred to me too that i've used it
inappropriately.

I had a charger (Lidl smart charger) but it packed in.

We're going away for a week shortly (if our masters permit).
Management has 'suggested' I change the battery so I don't want us stuck
in the arse end of nowhere waiting for RAC. It would be worth the cost
to not have that conversation.

During the first lockdown my car usage was minimal but going to the
supermarket I gave my car at least a 15 minute run with AC on so it
didn't dry out and to get the engine up to temperature. During this time
the start/stop facility didn't work.

After the first lock-down it took a run of around 40 miles at around
50/70mph before the stop/start facility kicked in again.

I believe that stop/start is inhibited not only on low battery charge
but also on the outside temperature being too high or too low, low
engine temperature, heater and AC usage, heated windscreen usage, and
maybe time since engine start.