Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Lost in the baffling Makita range

On 13/12/2020 22:46, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/12/2020 21:32, wrote:
On 13/12/2020 15:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/12/2020 15:14,
wrote:

I'd decided to treat myself to a Mak 18V brushless drill (no hammer)
and ID,

Combi and ID would be the more typical paring, any particular reason
for wanting a DD only?

In this house only an SDS will make a dent on the walls, so why have a
(presumed) slight weight and cost penalty to get a hammer function
that I won't use? Once having used an SDS I would never revert to
hammer action.

Armed with a Bosch multimaterial bit, I have found that the combi can be
surprisingly effective on masonry. Somewhat battery than on main
percussion drills I have used in the past.

In fact I quite often find cases where I can do the whole job easily
enough with the combi to not make it worth getting the SDS out. (there
are also times like when working on a ladder its easier)

My experience of hammer drills comes from 10+ years of using B&D mains
hammer drills before I discovered SDS. I still have one lying around
which was fine with brick and block walls but which won't touch these
walls, which are made of unusual and very hard (and very heavy!)
concrete blocks that are about 820x230x110mm. I presume the modern
hammer drills still have a ramped disk that makes the chuck move
forwards and backwards slightly(?) - are they hugely better than the old
B&D ones?

I now understand why I was puzzled ;-)
More seriously, is this all documented somewhere (other than your
excellent response)?

There are various bits of it scattered about. Sometimes just a good
retailer's site using a suitably qualified search will drill down
(sorry!) through the model range. So for example on the lawson site I
linked before, searching makita drill driver 18v brushless will find
there are 5 products (ans some of those are the same machine in a
different package) that match the search, and its quite easy from there
to look at the specs.

The Makita UK site does have a compare function. So say you go to:

https://www.makitauk.com/products/18v-drill-drivers

You can click on compare for a number of tools. It does suffer a bit by
not having the same set of specs listed for all tools though - or the
naming not being consistent - say listing "Capacity in Steel" on one
drill and no value listed for others, but the others having "Max. in Steel"

I'd found that but was hoping for some simple comparison table to make
it easy for potential customers to be Mak products. I'll have to keep
wading through the number swamp.