Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Car battery 12.1v

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 14:46:32 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

I leave my least used car with a solar powered trickle charger plugged
into the cigarette lighter.

I do the same (except connected directly to the battery).

It helps in summer but is useless in winter.

Hmm, I guess how much it could 'help' is a function of the capacity of
the panel, it's orientation to the sun and the parasitic drain on the
battery?

eg, I can generally leave the kitcar un-started for at least 3 months
and it will restart ok. Adding the solar panel means that even a short
burst of bright light on any day (or week) will generally offset any
losses.

Reminds me I ought to give it a top up charge next decent dry day.

I have to run a mains-lead across the pavement to do that but with the
end of the extension lead and charger under the bonnet and some rubber
mat over the cable, hasn't been an issue so far.

Cheers, T i m