Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Car battery 12.1v

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 13:04:50 +0000, R D S wrote:

snip

Advice is to trickle charge it first but I haven't a charger and I don't
want to buy a charger *and* a battery.

I would think that 'most people' that own a car would also agree you
should own things like a foot pump and a battery charger 'anyway', and
given how cheap (and compact) a perfectly useable one is from the
likes of Aldi / Lidl, and how foolproof they are to use, might be
considered one of those things every car / motorcycle owner should
have?

I guess if you only have one car, can't get mains anywhere near your
car or get the battery out your car (and some are easier than others)
or be elderly / non technical then I guess it may not be worth buying
a charger if you don't already have one, for yourself now (but others
might be able to get you out of trouble with it). [1]

I would also second the advice you have in that if I was to buy a new
battery I would still want to put it on a full / overnight charge
before fitting it. [2]?

Cheers, T i m

[1] A new neighbour knocked one day to ask if I had a battery charger
and if she could borrow it. I leant it to her (she used it herself)
and gave it back later that day. A week later she asked to borrow it
again ... ? [3]

[2] A mate has a fairly sophisticated battery tester that quickly
gives capacity, cold cranking amps and internal resistance etc.

Needing a new battery he took said gadget to the local car parts
supplier and they presented him with a suitable battery. He tested it
in front of them and it fell well below all the marked values. The
shop suggested 'it just needed a good charge' but mate wasn't
convinced, so left without.

He ordered one online (for a lot less) that he tested on arrival and
it was on / above it's marked spec. ;-)

[3] A mate just bought a new (to him) car and all the upholstery was
filthy. He cleaned it all with his machine but that leaves it fairly
damp. No issue in the summer as you can leave the windows open etc,
not so good in the winter and rain. As he can get the car on his own
front and has an external socket I offered to lend him a dehumidifier
which he accepted and was amazed how much water it was able to extract
in a day! He was so impressed (and with the idea that our daughter
uses one for clothes dying in her flat), he bought one himself for
doing things like car upholstery cleaning and trying to use the tumble
dryer less. ;-)