Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine leaking slightly

On 05/12/2020 09:47, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 05/12/2020 08:08, Jeff Layman wrote:

Every time I do a wash - which seems to be working fine - there is a
little puddle of water on the floor by the filtery thing at the bottom
right.

Machine is a curry's essential C510WM12 ...

I cant see if there is any kind of seal gone on the removable filter
thing at all and it doesn't seem to be a purchasable spare part...

any ideas?

I had a look at the manual online and it looks like just about any other
filter.

yup. I agree

What about temporarily sticking sellotape, duck tape, insulating tape,
etc where the filter plug meets the filter body. It should be enough to
seal it for a couple of washes. If you don't get water on the floor that
would suggest it's the fit between the plug and body.

It tightens up very 'hard' as if there was no rubber seal.

Maybe a tiny piece
of grit preventing a perfect seal? If it still leaks, then it's
something else. Hairline crack in the plug or body? Leak higher up which
is running down the filter body, and so it just looks like it's the
filter itself which is leaking?

Good thoughts.

What should actually be in there? I had expected some kind of gauze, but
there is none.

I'm not sure. I think there was a fairly coarse gauze or sieve in ours,
but it wasn't removable. I'm sure bits and piece like loose buttons
might be stopped by it and you just then pulled them out the front. I
can't even remember if the filter plug on ours had a rubber washer, and
I'm loathe to remove to check in case it starts leaking when I put it back!

On the Smeg which was left when we moved in there was a bracket which
screwed down to prevent the filter plug turning and loosening slightly
through vibration. Is it possible your plug might have turned a fraction
and so allowed a small leak?

There is something whose purpose I do not understand there, and when
trying to tighten it I seem to reach a hard stop.

I will have another look

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat