Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Waterpik repair

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Jim Wilkins wrote:

Has anyone else fixed one of these with good/bad results?

I kept a Braun electric toothbrush working for YEARS past the expected
lifetime, with outboard batteries and a drop of oil on each motor bearing
every couple years. I'll bet a drop of oil on each end (if you can get to
the shaft at both ends) and let it soak in for a few hours will loosen the
motor up quite well. Eventually the brushes and or commutator wear away,
and that is the end of it.

Jon
--------------------------------

I used a needle oiler from a hobby store which reached in past the crown
gear and under the pinion. The gear assembly separates from the motor easily
but I only did that on the frozen unit because inadequate gear tooth
engagement is a reported problem.

I've used turbine oil in a zoom spout bottle on the plain shaft bearings of
my megger and found that it needed re-oiling after a year on the shelf,
perhaps the thin oil evaporates? The crank drives a planetary speed
increaser on a concentric shaft, and becomes stiff if not oiled.

https://www.amazon.com/Insulation-Me...ct_top?ie=UTF8
It's a ripoff of the old Biddle megger. The idea is that if you shock
yourself you automatically stop cranking the high voltage generator.