Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.engineering.electrical
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Convert cold fill washing machine to hot and cold fill

On 01/12/2020 11:49, HVS wrote:
On 01 Dec 2020, Buffalo wrote

So, it seems that the common opinion is that body oil stains on
sheets,pillowcases, socks, underwear, etc and oil and grease
stains in clothes will come out cleaner with COLD than with HOT
water? I find that very hard to believe.

You seem to be confusing the terms "cold fill" and "cold wash": the
machine will heat the cold-fill water when you set it for a hot wash.

Given the reduced amount of water used by modern washing machines and
the distance in most houses between the HW tank and the washing
machine, most of the "hot fill" will be what's currently sitting in
the pipes, and the machine will have to heat it up anyway if you're
going to run a hot wash.

I had a hot+cold fill machine and it took 30 minutes to fill with hot,
so I started off with a programme that did a cold fill and pushed the
knob in and turned it round to the right programme and pulled it out
again to do what I wanted it to do (which started by heating the water
up). I think they are supposed to have valves to equalise the pressure
of hot and cold which was probably not set right.

(Y-hoses were provided for if you only had a cold tap.)

I have noted that the big clanky knob method, which turns round during
operation was continued even when they obviously used microcontrollers
to sequence the operations. Now the big knob (if present) stays still.

--
Max Demian