Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.engineering.electrical
HVS[_3_] HVS[_3_] is offline

Default Convert cold fill washing machine to hot and cold fill

On 01 Dec 2020, Buffalo wrote

"Dimitris Tzortzakakis" wrote in message

Στις 15/11/2020 12:15 π.μ., ο/η Potrice *γραψε:
I have just bought a single fill washing machine and modified
the water input
by using a switched 3/4 inch switched tap splitter. I have to
turn the hot water on by hand, and when it's full turn it off
and turn the cold on.---
But I have noticed when it is filling it automatically switches
from the left hand fill in the soap dispenser, to the middle
one. Meaning the two solenoids (hot and cold) are still fitted
and working. All they've done is blank off the hot fitting and
siamesed the two pipes internally.
So all that would be need to make it dual fill would be
One pipe fitting and two bits of hose.

In Europe, all washing machinew have been and are cold fill. They
all are now computer controlled, with a microcontroller
obviously, and a PCB, of course. Why would you want to make it
hot fill as you're not saving up anything, here most houses have
solar water heaters so hot water is practically free, even with
minimum sunshine in winter.it's also very usual in Israel (in
hebrew it's dud shemesh- דיד (שמש in greek it's
heliothermo-ηλιόθερμο. there are many types of cold fill
washing machines here. from 5 kilos up to 10 and with the usual
universal brushed motors for AC to brushless direct drive motors.
traditionally they had asynchronous motors with run capacitors
and electromechanical programmers. very durable.you could even
take the motor for rewinding. now the whole motor-tacho assembly
must be exchanged if defective.

So, it seems that the common opinion is that body oil stains on
sheets,pillowcases, socks, underwear, etc and oil and grease
stains in clothes will come out cleaner with COLD than with HOT
water? I find that very hard to believe.

You seem to be confusing the terms "cold fill" and "cold wash": the
machine will heat the cold-fill water when you set it for a hot wash.

Given the reduced amount of water used by modern washing machines and
the distance in most houses between the HW tank and the washing
machine, most of the "hot fill" will be what's currently sitting in
the pipes, and the machine will have to heat it up anyway if you're
going to run a hot wash.

--
Cheers, Harvey