Mary Shafer

Default Home buying dilemma

On 29 Jun 2003 19:18:30 -0700, (Arulmozhi)
wrote:

2) It has a slightly odd floor plan (officially listed as a
contemporary style house) with the living room in a different level
(mezannine level) than the kitchen. The formal dining area is in a
separate room on the same level as the kitchen but not adjacent to it
(it is opposite the kitchen).

Dining rooms are not supposed to be adjacent to the kitchen. At most,
they can share a wall, but there should be a door between them. At
best, they're further apart than that. Across a hall sounds about
right.

Remember, the whole idea of a dining room is to separate cooking from
dining. Eating in the kitchen, or in an area adjacent to the kitchen
(the so-called breakfast nook), is for informal meals like breakfast
or for children.

Actually, the dining room is for displaying one's lovely table, often
wooden, and one's even more lovely china cabinet and china or crystal,
as well as one's collection of amazingly expensive chairs (the chairs
often cost twice what the table does, and the table isn't cheap).
Many dining rooms get no more use than that for 50 week of the year.
The other two weeks include Thanksgiving and Christmas.

At least, that's how it works for most people I know. Consider using
the room for an office or den if you have the room to eat in a
comfortable style elsewhere. Mind you, this is advice I'm better at
giving than taking, but I plead extenuating circumstances because I
love my dining-room table.

Mary

"Turn to kill, not to engage." LCDR Willie Driscoll, USN