Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another thing about electric cars

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
As a percentage of the cost of a new EV, I doubt they are that
expensive - especially when they are made by the million.

what is going to cost money is installing the infrastructure needed
to power them.

I think that may be over estimated. All the houses here already have
an 80 amp supply. No restrictions via the main feeders on how much you
use of that in practice. And peak demand - cooking etc - is likely to
be at the same sort of times. So charging a car overnight may well not
overload the feeders. It's not as if everyone will need to charge
every car from empty to full every single day.

I was thinking of the infra-structure needed for supplies at the edge of
the road for those who park there.

They managed perfectly well to put parking metres in every bay when it
suited. They dig up the roads to run fibre in as and when needed. Etc.

How much do you think it would cost to equip every house with a charging
point outside it in the road - done all at the same time? As opposed to
the costs of changing every car in the street for an EV?

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.