Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Another thing about electric cars

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 10:59:39 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
I have a friend who has an electric car, VW I think, and it has heated
seats as well. I never really understood heated seats, must be one of
the most wasteful ways to heat things up.

Not so. On a petrol car etc, they get up to heat very quickly - far
quicker than the coolant driven heater. And since they only heat your bum,
quite an efficient way of doing things.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *
Dave Plowman London SW

I love heated seats but would also like a heated steering wheel as my fingers take a long time to warm up but my present car has an app that allows me to preheat the interior and I rarely use the heated seats now.
There's more rubbish talked about electric cars and range. The simple way to use an electric car effectively is to keep topping up the battery when possible and not treated it like a petrol engine and run the tank low before refilling it. Also if embarking on a long journey research it first, establish the location of charging stations and plot the route accordingly around all high power charging stations and make allowance for any that may be occupied or not working. A good app will tell you this. The low power ones are useless unless you anticipate staying near one for a long period of time. I think the Tesla stations should be available to all even if they charge more for non Tesla cars Personally I have a BMW i3 rex which has a small motor bike engine which is used to recharge the battery when it gets too low and means as long as i can get to a petrol filling station I'm not going to be stuck and I could even carry a gallon of petrol if I was anal about it..
The article in yesterdays Guardian high lighted this. The problem there lay with the users lack of knowledge on using an electric vehicle.