Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Another thing about electric cars

williamwright wrote:
Presumably the battery capacity drops with age and usage. That's another
variable then. Dare I put the heater on? Shall I try to drive without
the headlamps on? etc etc.

Bill

The heating is a lot.

4300W

30-35% of range.

But the testing was not done well, and so there
are some caveats in that number. It will be that
bad, if you leave the car on flow-thru, and you
do short trips from one mall to another mall while
shopping. The short trips case causes the car to
warm up from the outside-low temperature to the
cabin-target-temperature, for each short trip. If
you do highway driving, with the car set to
recirculate instead of flow-thru, then the result
could differ. On a long trip, the wastage number
will be somewhat lower. We don't know the average power
needed to maintain the steady state cabin temp.

The people writing the article, wanted material
for a magazine article. They weren't exactly
scientists interested in nuances.

The headlights are nothing, compared to the heat.
The incandescent on your ICE car, is replaced with
LEDs on the BEV. The incandescent would be 60W and 75W,
while the LEDs would be 8W and 10W or so to make the
same light. Small potatoes compared to 4300W for
cabin heat.

*******

Here's a fun article for you. The driver was using a Bolt.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/driv...hicles-winter/

It shows there is an issue with charging from the lowest
level of charger, and that is, that the charger can't keep
the battery pack warmed to a good level for later. You would
be leaving the cable connected, just so the battery could
be kept at a good temperature.

For a person in a cold climate, it looks like you should be
a home owner and not an apartment dweller. As then you can
fit a charger worthy of winter conditions. Or alternately,
just drive your chariot into a heated garage. You can keep
your gas car out in the driveway or parked on the street.

Paul